Simon Costain is the owner and main practitioner of The Gait and Posture Centre LLP. He has held a Consultant Podiatry post in the NHS and has been in Harley Street since 1985. He holds:
- a FCPod(s): This is a full Fellowship in podiatric surgery. He practiced as a podiatric surgeon for 12 years but concentrates now on avoiding podiatric surgery in dealing with specific foot problems
- a FCPod(M): This is a full fellowship in Podiatric Medicine and he is entitled to prescribe a limited list of POM's
- a MCPod: Full member of the College of Podiatry
- a BSc.: This is an internationally recognised qualification of a podiatrist who has completed a degree in podiatry
- registration with the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists, College of Podiatry and the Health Professions Council
- a Further Education Teacher's Certificate (FET cert)
- registration with the Legal Services Commission as an expert witness in Podiatry for medico-legal work. Anyone requiring this service should contact the centre.
- has 43 years of experience as a Podiatrist and was one of the founding fathers of podiatric sports medicine in the UK.
- has held several positions as a podiatrist within the NHS before moving into private practice.
- was the Podiatrist to the Great Britain Team at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992
- co-authored the CD-ROM Sports Injuries of the Foot & Ankle, published by Primal Pictures'...this inernactive CD-ROM stands alone, it is far above other resoruce materials which are available. Overall the information presented is stimulating, informative and visually exciting. Whilst rather more costly than a traditional text book the long term benefits far outweigh the immediate cost and will be a learning tool for the future.'- Australian Massage Association.
- lectured at the London Hospital Medical Schools' Diploma in Sports Medicine, Dance UK's Healthier Dancer conferences, British Association of Sports Medicine Conferences for doctors and physiotherapists, and lectures nationally and internationally to podiatrists, osteopaths and other allied professions.
- has been a consultant to the Royal Marines at (CTCRM) the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone, Devon.
- was one of the originators of CAD/CAM technology in podiatry, having won a SMART award from the Department of Trade and Industry to develop cad-cam technology for orthotic manufacture.
Simon has been involved in sport at county and national level including athletics, cricket and rugby. He is an experienced sailor and yachtsman holding a commercially endorsed ocean yachtmaster qualification as a skipper and has sailed many thousands of miles, including three trans Atlantics in 1985, 1999 and 2017. He has raced in the double handed AZAB (Azores and back) races in 2011 and 2015 and will do so again in 2019, this time on a Class 40 race boat. He won 1st place in the 69th JP Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race in the Laser SB3 class. Simon is a member of the Royal Ocean Racing Club (RORC), the Royal Cruising Club (RCC) and the Ocean Cruising Club (OCC), and a long term member of the RAF Yacht club in Hamble.
Simon maintains a keen interest in helping sportsmen and women recover from injury and to return to their sports and understands the physical stress that the body can suffer and in particular, ways of mitigating the enormous strain on the feet and legs.
As Simon Costain has said: "we encase our feet in leather coffins most of the day and totally restrict their movement unlike our hands which are constantly being exercised as we carry out our normal every day tasks. No wonder they feel mistreated – they are!’
For more information about the Centre and to book an appointment please contact us.